Title: Instant Messaging Setup Problem
Oh, and are you on Exch2K sp1 (at least)?  Several fixes therein.

-----Original Message-----
From: exchlist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 11:15 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Instant Messaging Setup Problem

Hello,
        I am having difficulty setting up instant messaging.  I have Win2k Server, and Exchange 2K installed on a PDC.  I have installed IM and reset the passwords  I receive the following error, while on the server attempting to connect:

      Exchange Instant Messaging Authentication Failure.  The person logged on to this computer does not have permission to use the specified e-mail address.  Please supply and e-mail address and logon credentials for that address.  (am I loged  on as administrator using the administrator account).

I have searched TechNet and found an article concerning the above error and checked all of the issues therein to no avail. When I attempt to attach from another workstation I receive a different error:

        Logon to Microsoft Exchange Instant Messaging failed because the service is not responding.  The service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet.

I have checked the services and I don't have an instant messaging service.  Should there be one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

List Charter and FAQ at: