Hi Mark,

I had exactly the same problems and didn't manage to find help any where. I
did get a connection using user@servername but I couldn't get real e-mail
addresses to work. Eventually, despite having IM running only on one server,
I decided to try setting it up with a virual routing server and its now
working perfectly.

Here's what I did:

- Setup a new IIS Web Site called im.domain.com
        o IP Address - All unassigned
        o Host header - im.domain.com

- In Exchange System Manager
        o I added a virtual server (this will be the routing server)
        o Display name: IM Routing Server
        o DNS Name: im.domain.com
        o For IIS web site I selected: im.domain.com
        o Do not check "host accounts"
        o Then I added another virtual server (this will be the home server)
        o Display name: IM Home Server
        o DNS Name: "servername" (This is the server name and is the default
option)
        o For IIS web site I selected: Default Web Site
        o Check "allow server to host accounts"

- In the W2K DNS
        o I added the following A records: im.domain.com  207.236.x.x
        o New Service locator record: _rvp._tcp.domain.com SRV 0 0 80 im.domain.com

I basically copied this from the server setup log just changing the names
and ips to protect the innocent. ;o) Hopefully it'll give you an idea of how
to set it up. On our DNS provider domain.com points to this box and now
everything works well.

Hope this helps...
Luis Esteves
Network Administrator