From: ONG Liang Bu (CSC) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 December 2001 12:19
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Size of Personal Folders

THIS MESSAGE ORIGINATED ON THE INTERNET - Please read the detailed disclaimer below.

Hi,

I have been a lurker in this list for the past two yrs.  Have to say this list has save my
ass on many occasions.  Recently the file blocking discussions save me from the GONE.SCR,
Thanks for the tips.

Just a simple question I will not mind if I do not get an answer.

Anybody knows how big can a personal folder grow?

The reason I asked is my users are growing and I am running out of disk space.  We are due
to an upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 at the mid next yr.  At the mean time
I am advising the users to temporary pull their mails to the personal folder.  I read it somewhere
the personal folder cannot be too large.  In fact anything above 1 G is not advisable.
Definitely Microsoft must have a design spec, say .edb file in Ex 5.5 standard is 16 G; so
.pst must have a design limitation.  It will not be safe for 1 G, 2 G ...
At the moment I am advising them not to have it more than 1G, but to the mid next yr is a long
time..

Any points to enlighten on this issue is appreciatd.  One more thing I am trying out Antigen,
not bad at all.

Many thanks (sincerely thanks for the many tips for the past 2 yrs)
Ong LB
Exchange Adminsitrator
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University
Singapore

List Charter and FAQ at:

The following message has been automatically added by the mail gateway to comply with a Royal & Sun Alliance IT Security requirement:

As this email arrived via the Internet you should be cautious about its origin and content. Replies which contain sensitive information or legal/contractual obligations are particularly vulnerable. In these cases you should not reply unless you are authorised to do so, and adequate encryption is employed.

If you have any questions, please speak to your local desktop support team or IT security contact.
List Charter and FAQ at: