From: ONG Liang Bu (CSC) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 07:19
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Size of Personal Folders

Hi,

I have been a lurker in this list for the past two yrs.  Have to say this list has save my
ass on many occasions.  Recently the file blocking discussions save me from the GONE.SCR,
Thanks for the tips.

Just a simple question I will not mind if I do not get an answer.

Anybody knows how big can a personal folder grow?

The reason I asked is my users are growing and I am running out of disk space.  We are due
to an upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 at the mid next yr.  At the mean time
I am advising the users to temporary pull their mails to the personal folder.  I read it somewhere
the personal folder cannot be too large.  In fact anything above 1 G is not advisable.
Definitely Microsoft must have a design spec, say .edb file in Ex 5.5 standard is 16 G; so
.pst must have a design limitation.  It will not be safe for 1 G, 2 G ...
At the moment I am advising them not to have it more than 1G, but to the mid next yr is a long
time..

Any points to enlighten on this issue is appreciatd.  One more thing I am trying out Antigen,
not bad at all.

Many thanks (sincerely thanks for the many tips for the past 2 yrs)
Ong LB
Exchange Adminsitrator
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University