I can not say whether Exchange on a SAN is supported or not...not my
position.  IBM Global Services salespeople have mentioned Exchange being
used on a SAN and using Tivoli to back it up.  I would expect it to be
able to handle it.  I have had Exchange 5.5 servers operating off a
Compaq Fibre Array 4100 for external storage...100 MBPS links and an
external Gateway array, but never a SAN.  If it looks like a drive to
the server and performance is good, it should work.

Someone had mentioned on here about having to down Exchange, the server,
etc to expand space if it were on a SAN.  While this may be true for
5.5, one can always add another "Storage Group" or possibly even another
"Mailbox Store" and move messages with Exchange 2000.  HOWEVER, the SAN
person did mention the Performance Optimizer...therefore not yet E2K and
still on 5.5.  My suggestion is to seriously consider Exchange 2000 and
Active Directory.  It will make your life a whole lot easier when it
comes to expansion and also policies on mailboxes (students 20MB,
faculty 500 MB (students mailing projects instead of putting them on a
shared drive, etc).)

Exchange 2000 is great.  I am looking forward to Kodiak (Exchange .Net
or whatever).  It is supposedly going to leave the Jet database in favor
of RDBMS...SQL .Net.  Technology has really advanced going from 5.5 to
2000.  Who knows, with .Net, it may actually be supported on a SAN...but
it may require the SAN vendor to certify it and all that stuff.

Bob

List Charter and FAQ at: