I wrote a whitepaper on this.  Where the heck did I put that?

Oh, wait.  Here it is:

How to Deploy File Level Virus Scanner Software on Exchange Server
by William Lefkovics

Do not deploy file level scanners on your Exchange Server.

Notes:
Thank you to Kevin Miller for tech editting duties.

If you are using your Exchange server as a file server where people have
access to shares etc and you simply must have file scanning, then just have
your scanner exclude everything pertaining to Exchange.

It is always best to separate the two.

William