So tell us how you really feel!  ;o)

From: Martin Reilly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 6:26 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OT - Domino/Notes Versus Exchange

I can honestly say that Notes/Domino is without too much doubt the most
awful software I have ever had to work with. (I say without *too* much doubt
because some days I think GroupShield may hold that honour... it depends
which I've had to work with most recently). I worked with Notes and Domino
every day - both as an administrator and an end-user - for nearly a year. I
found new reasons to hate it every single day.

Where should I start?

The client is unintuitive, slow, and unreliable. Pretty much every single
user interface design error known to software designers is demonstrated
somewhere in Notes at least once.

The administrative tools make the client look quite well organised and well
behaved.

The server side components leak memory like it was going out of fashion and
appear to merely tolerate running on the same box as Windows rather than
integrating with the OS in any sensible way.

The security model is over-engineered, over-complex, under-functional, and
doesn't integrate with anything useful (users hate having to sign in twice,
once for Windows, once for Notes, and who can blame them?). Likewise the
directory.

I could go on for pages and pages on the cons... one day I'll write up the
"Alternative Notes FAQ" that I keep threatening to put on the web.

The pros?

Well... not too many virus writers have noticed Notes, so you can have an
easier time there than with Outlook.

Alledgedly, Notes is good for workflow and small databases, but I've yet to
see anything done with it that couldn't have been achieved much faster,
cheaper and more reliably with MS Office integrated with Exchange.

It's a niche market. Before it sinks without a trace (which I'll give three,
maybe four years) there is probably going to be good money for people with
skills looking after it or - better still - the right skills for migrating
people off of it onto Exchange.