Title: Open relay

Okay if you are operating an Exchange 2000 server the following steps need to be followed for securing your server and preventing an open mail relay.

1. Start the system manager expand your administrative group (if your using one) in which the server you want to use resides.

2. In the console tree, navigate to the protocols container. Expand the servers, expand the server you want to work with then expand Protocols

3. In the console tree expand SMTP. Right click the virtual server that you wan to work with and select properties.

4.Click the access tab, and then click Relay. You should now see the Relay Restrictions dialog box.

5.To grant relay rights to specific computers and deny relay rights to all others, click Only the list below.

6.To deny relay for specific computers and grant all others the right to relay, click All Except the list below.

7. Create the grant or deny list, click add ,and thenin the computer dialog box specify a single machine, or a group of computers or a domain.

for a single machine type the IP address for the computer

for a group of computers type the subnet address and the subnet mask

for a domain type the FQDN in the field.

8.click ok

note: when you grant or deny based on domain there will be a performance hit while it does a reverse lookup.

I also defined the who could make a connection to port 25 for an added level of security. To do this follow these steps:

1. Start the system manager expand your administrative group (if your using one) in which the server you want to use resides.

2. In the console tree, navigate to the protocols container. Expand the servers, expand the server you want to work with then expand Protocols

3. In the console tree expand SMTP. Right click the virtual server that you want to work with and select properties.

4.click the connections in the access tab.

5.To grant relay rights to specific computers and deny relay rights to all others, click Only the list below.

6.To deny relay for specific computers and grant all others the right to relay,click All Except the list below.

7. Create the grant or deny list, click add ,and then in the computer dialog box specify a single machine, or a group of computers or a domain.

for a single machine type the IP address for the computer

for a group of computers type the subnet address and the subnet mask

for a domain type the FQDN in the field.

8.click ok

note: If you use an Enterprise Monitor and monitor the SMTP port 25 make sure you add it to the grant list.

That's it

AlV