Title: Message

Ben is right.  You can do the same thing with a hot-swappable RAID1 array.  Just unplug the bad one and plug in the new one (the way I understand it anyway, haven’t had a failure on one yet) and it rebuilds, all online.

-----Original Message-----
From: MHR(Michael Ross) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 12:42 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Why would anyone install Exchange on a PDC?

If a RAID 1 set has a failed disk , you HAVE to break the mirror and recreate the mirror with the new disk.

This means Server downtime.

If a RAID 5 set has a failed disk, you simply replace the disk (especially hot pluggable) and the server STAYS RUNNING.. NO downtime on the server.

RAID 5 was designed for this. It does not give you the same downtime when you have to down the server, replace the disk and recreate the mirror.. RAID 5 will know you replaced the failed disk and rebuild it on the fly. The server may see some performance degredation, but it will stay running..and you dont need to down the server at all.

Replaying the log files most certainly does come into play when you create a new DB.. Ive gone thru this with PSS!