From: MHR(Michael Ross) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 11:12 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Why would anyone install Exchange on a PDC?

My whole point is.. Why ever use anything less than a RAID 5, (unless something like Oracle NEEDS it), on a production box when a RAID 5 configuration can keep ya running in the event of a disk failure.

Youre talking the cost of 1 disk.. Whats that in comparision to the time it takes you to break the mirror, replace the disk, and recreate the mirror?

If I got a -1018 error, Id attempt to repair the DB, the exmerge the data out.. Create a new DB and exmerge the data back in.. Ive done with with PSS on the phone twice due to the cluster we HAD screwing up the DB. It didn't matter that our log files were on the RAID 1 partition or on the disk where the DB was.

Cirular logging is enabled by default on Exchange 5.5.. You have to disable it to reap those benefits.