I assume you are on Exchange 5.5.  I also assume you have created a
backup user and put it in the administrator and backup operators group.

If som re-create the job.  When you click on the Exchange server,
right-click on it and select "connect as".  Enter the
DOMAIN\BackupAccountName and the password.  That cleared it up for us.
We had similar issues, but it would just not work at all sometimes.  The
error was cryptic.  A lot of errors cleared up with the label scanning
when we upgraded the firmware for our Compaq TL891 drives.  If you can
update any firmware, do that as well.

I think when they hit you to purchase BENT 8.6 upgrades they also throw
the maintenance fee in there.  I am glad that Microsoft does not act
like Veritas with regards to those upgrades.  Our guy from Insight keeps
us up to date with that type of stuff (Paul rocks...shameless plug).
Maintenance is supposed to tack on only ~15% to the price.  It is
supposed to come with full phone support and upgrades for one year if
memory serves me correctly.  You can renew at the end of the year for
another ~15% or 18%.  If you don't have it, I would suggest contacting
your vendor and adding it on...it's cheap once you have to make that
first call.  Within (90, I think) days of purchasing the product you
should be able to add on the maintenance.

If you need contacts @ Insight or @ Veritas, call me.  I will get back
with you when I get home.  Otherwise, call their 800 numbers.
Note:  I don't work or accept commissions for any of the aforementioned
companies...just a geek doing a job and trying to share some knowledge.

Bob
Bobby J. Christian II
NT Systems Engineer
VeriSign, Inc.