Beat the users (to clean their mailboxes) with Cat 5 ?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 16:17
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Archiving folders

Dumb question for you all, just to make your Friday a bit easier :-)

First, let me tell you that our Exchange server isn't huge (8GB) and I
don't have experience with archiving.

Is there anyway that I can archive certain messages or folders to an
offline storage area? I know I can archive whole mailboxes, but my
situation is that I have some large folders, some with 60,000+ emails,
and I'd like to take, say, the oldest 50,000 and move them out of the
Exchange database and into a file that would reside on our file server,
where there's lots of space. I don't need these to be readily available,
but ideally there would be a way I could use some program (maybe OL
itself?) to browse through those messages if need be.

We're using Ex 5.5 and OL 2000.

I know about programs like Veritas Remote Storage, and while that looks
like a nice solution that would do a lot of things, it also costs $3500.

Any ideas that may be cheaper?

Thanks,

Evan

List Charter and FAQ at: