On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, at 5:49pm, Toni, Randy wrote:
> Seems to me that the structure of a mail server hostname can contain an
> underscore (or a period, etc.) as part of the "atom" or "dot-atom"
> component in the "local-part" of the "addr-spec" ...

  The "local-part" of an "addr-spec" (address specification) is the part to
the *left* of the at-sign (e.g., "user" in "[EMAIL PROTECTED]").  I think you
mean the "domain" part ("domain.com" in the above).

  The "domain" part is a domain name, easily enough.  RFC-2822 references
several other Internet standards on that: STD-3, STD-13, and STD-14.

  RFC-1123, "Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and Support",
included by STD-3, Section 2.1, states that "The syntax of a legal Internet
host name was specified in RFC-952."

  RFC-952, "DOD Internet Host Table Specification", Section 3, states "A
'name' (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up to 24
characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus sign (-), and
period (.)."

  Underscores are not allowed in an Internet host name.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

List Charter and FAQ at: