Looking for (at) the right RFC's would have helped - and even interpreting
the RFC correctly (regardless of which one I'm looking at) is something I
need to work on -- my mistake.  My firewall references "RFC 822 compliance"
in the descriptor for a field where I can tweak the allowed hostname
characters for any incoming connections - so I just jumped into 2822 to
check it out and I got bogged down there.  Thanks William and Ben for the
clear responses.  I will fix my system this morning.

randy.

List Charter and FAQ at: