Well, you've suggested applying hotfixes to 'fix one's problems'.

I am agreeing not to install hotfixes just because they exist.

Those are a little different, methinks.

For example, I have not installed ANY of these post-sp4 fixes that didn't
apply to a specific problem:
XGEN: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-SP4 RPC Fixes (Q304062)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304062
XGEN: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-SP4 Directory Fixes (Q304115)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304115
XGEN: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-SP4 Outlook Web Access Fixes (Q313576)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313576
XADM: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Message Transfer Agent Fixes
Available (Q283238)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q283238
XADM: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Information Store Fixes
Available (Q282533)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282533
XGEN: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Internet Mail Service Fixes
Available (Q289258)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289258
XGEN: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Collaboration Data Objects
Fixes Available (Q289606)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289606
XADM: Exchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Mailbox Cleanup Agent Fixes
Available (Q309010)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309010

Let's hope you don't have to deal with *this* one:
XADM: The Recipient Update Service Does Not Work in an Environment That
Contains More Than 800 Domain Controllers (Q316350)

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+, ExchangeMVP