From: Tom.Gray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 11:42 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: WLKMMAS

Hmmm.  Certs are just that -- Certifications for a specific
item/entity/product.
Certs are great if you want to focus on that particular part/parts of
IT.
They
are not necessary, but every cert course I've taken I've learned at
least
one
nugget from the course, and probably 10 from the folks taking the course
with me.

But, a college degree can do many things for you:
1) Lots of jobs (not just IT) want that BA, BS, etc  "or equivalent
experience"
   Proving that experience may be easy, but many a hiring person doesn't
want
   to take that time to prove to the HR folks this was good.
   Basically, it makes it easier to hire you.  (certs help here also)
2) Having a degree in Computer Science can be very helpful.  Sure, you
didn't
   learn how to install Win2k, Exchange or configure a router, but you
probably
   (hopefully) learned the theory behind routing, programming, operating
systems
   and such.  Database theory, probability, etc.  Heck, even ethernet
protocols
   and such.  When you have to troubleshoot a large problem, having some
background
   in all those areas can come in handy.
3) Getting thru college proves you can deal with "the system".  They
have to
manage
   your time, follow the rules, get the forms done correctly, take the
classes, deal
   with all the good (and not so good) instructors/professors etc.  In
the
real world
   the skills you obtained doing all these come in handy.
4) College, unlike the workplace, is a great place to "co-mingle".  This
is
usually
   frowned upon in the workplace!  (grin)

But in the end, real world experience and your own personality/work
ethic
should
provide you the vehicle to travel down your career path!  The rest is
just a
bunch of options that might make the journey easier!

Good Luck
Tom Gray, Network Engineer  (CCNA, CBE, BS-LSU)
All Kinds of Minds & The Center for Development and Learning
Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AT&T Net: (919)960-8888