I would have AV on the Exchange server before any other server considering
that 99%* of all viruses are spread via email.

* Fact that I made up, but I bet is pretty close to being accurate.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Lathrum Matt-P55173 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:10 PM
To:     MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject:        Is virus protection on the Exchange server necessary?

Our environment has Trend running on the firewall for anti-virus and content
filtering.  We have NAV running on the desktops.  We are currently
evaluating Antigen and SAVF (Symantec) to put on our E2K Exchange servers
(including an E2K cluster on a Compaq SAN).  However, our Microsoft resident
is suggesting to us that AV on the servers themselves is not necessary and
will only introduce problems and instability (particularly Symantec's
product).  He said that when a virus outbreak occurs that actually gets
inside, a quick ExMerge on the server is just as effective as pushing out
virus defs using the AV product.

With AV software on the firewall and on the desktops, what do people think
about not putting AV on the Exchange servers themselves?

--
Matt Lathrum
General Dynamics Decision Systems

List Charter and FAQ at: