I have had more experience that I wanted restoring Exchange 5.5, sp4, using
BE 8.6.  I did not have circular logging enabled either.

Make sure you are doing a full backup of the volumes, along with a full
backup nightly of the IS and Directory databases.

If so, you will be able to restore everything to the point of the backup.
This is my understanding of how BackupExec 8.6 does it...
1.  Backs up the database and logs separately.
2.  Commits logs to the databases and erases after the backups complete.

If you do a restore, there are specific steps you have to take to restore
correctly, depending on what you are restoring, the complete OS and
Exchange, or just the databases.

If it's just the databases, stop the Exchange services and rename all of the
mdbdata, mtadata, dsadata, etc. directories to old.  Choose the 'Loss
Restore' in BackupExec.  It restores the databases and logs to disk, starts
the services (prompts you first), and then commits any uncommitted log files
to the database.

List Charter and FAQ at: