Attaching To An Exchange Server Through Windows XP

Submitted By: BrienPosey,
Posted On: 6/4/2002 7:09:27 AM

they had recently added two Windows XP machines to their network, and that the users
were unable to access their Exchange mail through Outlook on these machines. He went
on to say that the problem wasn't related to insufficient permissions because the same
users were able to login and check E-mail on other machines.

I've actually heard about quite a few people having this and similar problems with
Windows XP. The good news is that the problem isn't linked to any type of known bug.
I've been all over the Internet and have been unable to locate anything related to a
Windows XP / Outlook / Exchange bug. Instead, the problem is usually related to either
a permissions problem or a configuration problem.

The real trick to making Windows XP be able to access Exchange successfully is to
verify that the network settings are configured correctly. If you're having trouble
connecting to an Exchange server on a machine that you believe to be working
correctly, then you should begin the troubleshooting process by opening a Command
Prompt window and using the PING command to verify that TCP/IP is working correctly.
Begin by pinging your own IP address and the IP address of the Exchange server. If you
receive a Destination Path Unreachable message, then it means that TCP/IP is
configured incorrectly. Often it means that the machine hasn't acquired an IP address
from a DHCP server. If the ping times out, then there is no valid network path between
the machine and the Exchange server. Perhaps the network cable is loose.

If you can successfully ping the Exchange server by IP address, try pinging it by host
name. If this ping fails, then the workstation in question is unaware of the server's
host name. You can correct this problem by verifying that the machine is configured to
use the same DNS server (or WINS server) as the Exchange server is.

If you're still having trouble communicating with the Exchange server and the tests
have all been successful up to this point, then its possible that the Windows XP
machine may not be a part of the correct domain. Unless the Windows XP machine is a
part of a domain that has permissions to the Exchange Server, then the machine will be
unable to access the Exchange Server. You can verify domain membership by opening the
Control Panel and selecting the Performance and Maintenance link, followed by the
System link.When you do, Windows will open the System Properties sheet. Select the
Computer Name tab to view the system's computer name and domain membership. If the
computer isn't a domain member or if it's part of an incorrect domain, you can use the
Change button to change the system's domain membership. Keep in mind that Windows XP
is a little bit different than Windows 9x. Windows 9x had minimal security, and it was
possible to simply tell Windows to use a specific domain. Windows XP, on the other
hand, requires you to create a computer account within the domain before the machine
can participate in the domain. Creating a computer account is no big deal, and the
wizard that walks you through the domain changing process will help you to set up the
computer account. The only catch is that you must have administrative privileges
within the domain before you can create a computer account. After joining a domain,
you should be able to access your Exchange Server.