I've been wracking my brain over this one for two days and would really
appreciate any help or pointers that anyone could offer...  Pardon the
length, but I've seen from experience that if you aren't complete, you get
bombarded with a million questions about the environment...

Our client is currently running Exchange 2000 SP2 on Win2k SP2.  The have
multiple email domains, but we'll call the main one "local.com."

Recently they have expanded and acquired an international office.  I have
been working with the technician on-site there to install 2 new domain
controllers for a new domain in our existing forest, one of which will
double as an Exchange 2k server.  They have their own registered domain
which their Exchange server will be hosting... we'll call it "intl.com"

The two locations are connected via VPN, and the network connectivity is
tested and perfect, though a little slow (600ms ping times).

The servers have been installed as domain controllers, and email is
working fine for sending messages from intl.com to intl.com.  Likewise
mail from local.com to local.com continues to work.  Both servers will
also receive external mail which is destined for a mailbox ON THAT SERVER
only.

Now the problem...  I seem to be missing something fundamental, but I was
under the impression that members of a "Routing Group" automatically
created the necessary connectors to communicate between each other.
(These two servers are members of the same routing group.)  Regardless,
mail from intl.com to local.com or vice-versa never arrives.

What am I missing...?
Do I have to manually create connectors?  Should I be using SMTP
connectors or X.400?
Is there something special I have to do in recipient policies other than
ensure all email domains are listed and marked as "Exchange is responsible
for this domain"?
Also, once mail is flowing, should I be able to send a message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to mail.intl.com and have it automatically route through to
mail.local.com?

This is obviously my first experience with a multi-site/multi-server
Exchange setup.  I have searched for decent documentation, but I haven't
found anything that says: "This is how it works."  I'm sure it exists and
I'm just looking in the wrong place.  If someone can direct me to a "How
to add a second exchange server housing a different domain" or "How
inter-Exchange email routing" works, I'll be just as happy!

Thanks in advance,
-Aaron

List Charter and FAQ at: