From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:16 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: ISINTEG question.

Urg. Non-trivial to explain.

I tried to find a public document that describes some of what isinteg does
on a technical level, but couldn't.

Historically, isinteg was a debugging tool for PSS. It allowed them to scan
a store and in the case of corruption, basically get rid of the offending
piece of the store. This followed the "I'd rather have part of my store than
none of it" philosophy. After a while, it made it into the standard release.
Then, it was used primarily for patching stores that were reloaded from
backup.

Today, the primary use for isinteg is to fix-up a database after it has been
repaired.

ESEutil is not Exchange aware. Difficult to believe, huh? But eseutil just
treats an Exchange store as any ESE database. And therefore its operations
are generic in nature.

It's up to isinteg to make sure that a given database is ready to be used by
Exchange. It understand the various tables and specific B+trees and the
consistency stuff and the split factors and the duplicate roots and the long
value blobs, etc. etc.

Under many situations isinteg can cause secondary indexes to be eliminated.
It can cause both table splits and table merges that Exchange will undo the
next-time it accesses a particular folder (because the Exchange store itself
is load-sensitive - but isinteg cannot be).

So...detuned. You'll have to regenerate secondary indexes (which Outlook
calls Views). And your table structure may no longer be optimal under load,
which Exchange will have to adjust in the future.

I don't think that there are any current recommendations from Microsoft to
run isinteg EXCEPT after a repair (or upon the recommendation of a PSS
engineer).

In fact, a quick scan of the knowledge base reveals that there are, in fact,
problems with running isinteg on production databases - up to and including
Exchange 2007! (Fixed in update rollup 3.)

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
MCSE/Exchange MVP
http://TheEssentialExchange.com