From: Campbell, Rob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:30 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2003/2007 email routing problem.

I'm in the process of upgrading our environment from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

I have an immediate need to eliminate the email relays in the DMZ that are
being used by Exchange 2003.  I have an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server
in the site, and a pair of Edge Transport servers in the DMZ that I would
like to use as the internet mail transport for the Exchange 2003
environment.

Currently I have all inbound internet email going through the Edge and Hub
servers and then being sent on the the Exchange 2003 bridgehead, and working
fine.

Outbound is more problematic.  There is a Send connector defined for
internet email on the Hub and Edge servers, but the Exchange 2003 bridgehead
can't seem to use it.  Any attempt to send outbound internet email from the
2003 bridgehead to the 2007 Hub Transport results in "Unable to relay.".

I can get it to work by adding * as an accepted domain on the 2007 side, but
that makes the Hub server an open relay.  I can mitigate that by restricting
the default receive connector to only accepting a connection from the 2003
bridgehead, but the edge synchronization propagates that setting the Edge
servers, and they become open relays.

I think I can get it to work by eliminating the edge subscriptions and
manually configuring send and receive connectors on the Edge servers, but it
seems like there ought to be a better way.

Anyone have any expertise in this kind of configuration?

Note:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and
protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message

replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.