From: Campbell, Rob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:30 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2003/2007 email routing problem.

I'm in the process of upgrading our environment from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

I have an immediate need to eliminate the email relays in the DMZ that are
being used by Exchange 2003.  I have an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server in
the site, and a pair of Edge Transport servers in the DMZ that I would like to
use as the internet mail transport for the Exchange 2003 environment.

Currently I have all inbound internet email going through the Edge and Hub
servers and then being sent on the the Exchange 2003 bridgehead, and working
fine.

Outbound is more problematic.  There is a Send connector defined for internet
email on the Hub and Edge servers, but the Exchange 2003 bridgehead can't seem
to use it.  Any attempt to send outbound internet email from the 2003
bridgehead to the 2007 Hub Transport results in "Unable to relay.".

I can get it to work by adding * as an accepted domain on the 2007 side, but
that makes the Hub server an open relay.  I can mitigate that by restricting
the default receive connector to only accepting a connection from the 2003
bridgehead, but the edge synchronization propagates that setting the Edge
servers, and they become open relays.

I think I can get it to work by eliminating the edge subscriptions and manually
configuring send and receive connectors on the Edge servers, but it seems like
there ought to be a better way.

Anyone have any expertise in this kind of configuration?

Note:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and
protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.