We regularly email to around 3000 members of our organization.  Normally
we use MS Word to create a mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet of
addresses.  They all go out over our 512K pipe in about an hour or two.
We consider 40k the size limit that bogs down our internet connection.
But we target for messages under 30K.

We limit connections to 10per domain to keep *some* spam engines from
flagging the message as bulk, and we limit the number of concurrent
connections overall to 20 to keep the pipe from filling up.

Since we use a mail merge, the emails usually aren't the same, so most
SPAM filters usually aren't triggered by *that*.

If you aren't sending more than a couple of addresses in any particular
domain, you aren't likely to trigger spam traps based on it simply being
bulk.

We used to just BCC the addresses by copying and pasting addresses from
excel, but that flagged us as spam from all the domains that had more
than a few recipients.

We track all our bounces and usually stay under 4%.  For you, that would
only be about 40 folks to check up on.  Of course, we don't get bounces
from most emails that are tagged as spam and just dropped.  But we feel
we have a pretty good penetration.

However, unless you request a response or use a service that can track
when the emails are opened, you won't really know how many actually get
slurped up by spam filters.  Based on our experiences, limiting the
connections and using a mail merge had measurable increase in delivery
rates.

Bill Songstad