Yes, when the following conditions are true:(which they usually are for our
average small business client who doesn't alert us first that they want to
do this)

* Untuned smtp server
* T1 or less bandwidth
* Unsanitized contact list
* 1000+ contacts

...then yes, you can very easily swamp the SMTP server and the oubound
bandwidth.  Exchange itself is usually find for internal-internal emails,
but the queues, firewall and outbound traffic are often swamped.

I've seen this about five or six times in the last 5+ years; it's usually
the first (and only) time a client tries to send a mass email out to their
entire contact list they've painstakingly build up in an Exchange public
folder (or multiple, given the limits on Exchange address lists...)

-- Durf

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute.