Have there been any recent DNS changes?  Are the originals still
cached?  Since you aren't using SPF, I cant only deduce that this type
of verification is is DNS related.

ohh, wait a tick - maybe the "verification" is checking for the
existence of a postmaster, or abuse address on your server.

Some filters do that too.  Worth looking into and creating if they
don't currently exist.

These types of checks are called "RFC Ignorant" checks - because by
RFC standards, these addresses should exist.  There is also a DNSBL
that tracks RFC Ignorant address.

HTH