The mailbox move utility would only allow 10-12 instances at a time, so I used
the built-in scheduler to kick them off every couple of hours. With 300
boxes/200GB, it took Thursday night(11pm-7am), Friday night, and most of the
weekend to move them. The old box was kind of a dog though.

From: Troy Meyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:51 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Upgrading from 2003 to Exchange 2007 Estimate

To add to Scot,

What exchange services are you running?  I constantly lecture about having
exchange off the DC and putting money into mail, but some folks use exchange
MAPI in office only for small businesses and it totally works fine.  If you
have intentions of running OWA, OA, EAS.....you probably need to separate
Exchange and depending on the number of clients really think about a separate
Client Access box.

As for labor time, once again it depends on how many users and how many
services you decide to run.  If you have done this before and are familiar with
the whole process you could do it in a couple hours in the simplest case.  I
know that my dev environment install took 3 times longer than my production as
I ran into little unexpected pieces... things like needing to have a 32 bit
copy of Exchange 2007 to apply the schema extensions to my 32bit schema master
(which is in a separate domain).

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more specific on the timeframe.

-troy