Then; as I said, our experiences have been different. The largest server
I used the product on was an Exchange 2000 server running a 14 disk
external SCSI array that was split into two 6 spindle sets that were
stripped then mirrored, or was it mirrored then stripped, don't recall
and I don't think it makes much of a difference.

The system handled 850 to 900 users split over 3 MDB's in one storage
group. Mailboxes ranged from less than 100 Mbytes to over 5 Gigs.

This may or may not fit your definition of a "small workgroup server
with few spindles".

After several days of 5 and 6 hour backups, I ran a 3rd party
defragmentation tool (NOT that piece of tripe that comes with Windows)
and saw my backup times drop about 30 minutes per run and my users
stopped complaining about how "Email is slow" for about two weeks.

I could give a flying spaghetti monster less if you want to continue the
argument. I suppose we can agree to disagree on this, but let's stop
calling each other vacuum headed idiots for wanting to run something
like a defragmentation utility on the server.

And I am not a horse, I don't even play one in SecondLife.

John H. Matteson, Jr.
Systems Administrator/ITT Systems
FOB Orgun-E
Afghanistan
DSN - 318 431 8001
VoSIP - (308) 431 - 0000
Iridium - 717.633.3823
Roshain - 079 - 736 - 3832

"A man who thinks of himself as belonging to a particular national group
in America has not yet become an American. And the man who goes among
you to trade upon your nationality is no worthy son to live under the
Stars and Stripes."  Woodrow Wilson