A concise explanation? Hrmmm.

Well, first, doing a backup does NOT force logs to be committed. It means
that the backup process waits until a checkpoint occurs, flushes the current
transaction log, and during the backup additional checkpoints are not
allowed to occur (that is, nothing is allowed to be flushed to the ESE
database until after the backup is complete - leading to an increasing
checkpoint depth, and in extreme situations, checkpoint exhaustion - but
that is another discussion altogether). The ESE buffers are not flushed.

So.data is written, in a serialized fashion, to the in-memory ESE cache and
to the log buffers, as updates occur in an Exchange database. Logs are
written to disk as logs fill up, or as checkpoints occur. (This may mean
that a log can have nothing but a checkpoint record in it - but that is not
the normal case.) In the ESE buffers, I/O is accumulated and prioritized by
a process known as the "lazy writer". The lazy writer scans the ESE buffers
for dirty (modified) pages and builds an optimized list to flush those to
disk. As that list is flushed to disk, the pages are marked as "clean", and
the checkpoint is marked as having advanced (on a transaction by transaction
basis, not a log by log basis). Whenever the transaction in a log are fully
advanced, then the checkpoint file and the database header are updated.

During a backup, the lazy writer is paused.

The ONLY time you are assured that logs are fully committed is during clean
shutdown, or after running soft recovery.

So.what is the problem you are trying to address or question you are trying
to answer? I might be of more help if I know that.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCSE/Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com