From: Jason Gurtz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:37 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: script to dump perms on exchange server, storage group &
databases

> Oh yuck!  I can't write a decent batch file, now how in the world am I
> going to learn a totally new language like Powershell?

Ah yes, the dos/cmd batch language, perhaps the only thing more obtuse
and
unforgiving than sql.  I always seem to fall back on
<http://www.allenware.com/icsw/icswref.htm> since I can never seem to
remember what exact incantation of a for loop I'm supposed to type in
;)

As for powershell?  Well, besides the books and links posted in the
recent
past on this list I think that another interesting/productive route
would
be to learn a little of the Perl scripting language.
<http://www.activestate.com/>  Powershell is *amazingly* similar to
Perl,
though going from Perl to Powershell is not as close as C to C++.
Still,
I think many would have some "aha!" moments if they did a few short
sessions with Perl.

Watch out though if you go this route.  With Perl, it is easy to get
sucked into a functional/procedural style of coding and Perl's regex
implementation is addicting (Powershell has no ~=).  Using regexes to
modify data in the pipeline is NOT what you do in powershell.  This is a
mental obstacle for me to this very day, since I have a Perl background.
Without discipline, Perl can also get very unstructured and hard to
read.
This is one area in which Powershell seriously trumps Perl and is much,
much better.

~JasonG

Note:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and
protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.