I'm trying to help someone and need a bit of advice.

We are a single site so that's the only setup I'm familiar with so I'm
not much help to him.

He has two exchange 2k3 servers, one in Tennessee and one in California.

Both in the same domain linked via a private network.  Also each site
has their own internet connction.

Can he configure each server to have its' own internet connector so that
email going out from either server wont have to go to the other server
before being sent directly to the internet?

Thanks.