From: Jonathan Link [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 8:50 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Quick Question

Can you define heavy use?

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Michael B. Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Obligatory Warning: This post uses basic math! <gasp>

It also serves to show why, while the OP thought this was a quick question,
it really is not. Even with small servers and small numbers of users, you
have to pay attention to the I/O subsystem. I've gone into far too many SBS
customers who thought their SBS server with SATA disks should support 10
users just fine. Well, it really depends.

I covered the performance calculation for RAID-1 and RAID-5 on SCSI and SATA
recently in the eZine EMO:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0809
<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0809&L=EMO-NEWSLETTER&T=0&;
F=&S=&P=1470> &L=EMO-NEWSLETTER&T=0&F
=&S=&P=1470

I added some more information about how this effects SANs here:

http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/09/19/it-s-all-ab
<http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/09/19/it-s-all-a
bout-the-iops-silly.aspx>
out-the-iops-silly.aspx

I cover this particular question (the performance required of disk
subsystems for Exchange and how that is affected by disk choice, controller
choice, SAN choice, etc.) in great depth in my upcoming book "Exchange
Server 2007: Operations and Monitoring". That's my commercial. :-)

Using RAID-1, read performance is equal to (IOPS * N), where N is the number
of disks in the array and IOPS is the total IOPS available from a single
disk. Write performance is (IOPS * N / 2). Note that N must always be an
even number (such as 2, 4, 6, 8.) with RAID-1. However, the amount of disk
available is (GB * N / 2), where GB is the amount of disk space available on
a single disk.

Using RAID-5, read performance is equal to (IOPS * (N - 1)). Write
performance is (IOPS * ((N - 1)/ 4)). Note that N can be any number higher
than 2. The amount of disk space is (GB * (N - 1)).

For 40 heavy users, your database IOPS requirement is about 20 IOPS. Your
transaction log IOPS requirement is about 8 IOPS. We will exclude the
operating system and page file IOPS requirement as best practice requires
that they be on separate volumes/arrays than any Exchange array. (Given the
proper amount of memory in a server, Exchange will not page significantly;
and after cache is steady-stated, I/O requirements of the operating system
are quite small.)

Your average 7,200 RPM SATA drive will only provide you with approximately
35 IOPS (this is called a "full stroke" IOPS, required for any random access
application, as opposed to sequential read/write). In RAID-1 (two disks),
your Read IOPS is 70, however your Write IOPS is still only 35 IOPS!
Assuming Exchange 2007, with approximately a 1:1 read:write ratio, your
average IOPS is 52.5.

In RAID-5 (three drives), your Read IOPS is 70 IOPS and your Write IOPS is
17.5 IOPS. Average IOPS is 44 IOPS. RAID-5 does meet the I/O requirements
for 40 heavy Exchange users with those drives.  However, during times of
heavy database update, the disk drives will be unable to keep up and
Exchange performance will degrade.

I would not provision RAID-5 in this configuration.

If you are configuring a single Exchange server (that is, one that holds all
the Exchange roles), you should consider bumping the memory to 4 GB (the
calculation actually comes to 3.2 GB, but that would be pretty hard to
find!).

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP
My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael