This is Exchange 2003SP2, Outlook 2003.

No clue here...there were a few complaints after a new VPN rollout,
and customers CLAIMED they saw improvement after moving ip ahead of
rpc in that registry key.   Personally, I don't really think it makes
a difference.  But most folks think it's easier than troubleshooting
Outlook performance for VPN users.  Until they star complianing
again...

--James