From: Michelle Weaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:05 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Small Fopah

One large store in Exchange 2003 isn't a good thing. I know in Exchange
2000, one giant store worked fine, but in 2003, it changed. We had a
gigantic store, 163 GB (or some ridiculous number like that). We never could
have recovered it, and it wasn't backing up properly because one backup
wouldn't be finished when the next one wanted to start. No matter how we
tried to tweak the timing, it never seemed to work. Log files never purged,
hard drives filled up, Exchange went offline. It was ugliness all around.

We broke the one store into 4 information stores with several databases in
each one, trying to keep the database files smaller than 30 GB. I can't
remember where I found that "magic number", very well could have been some
random thing I dreamed up, but we didn't have problems with Exchange going
offline after that.

We had no mailbox quotas and no limit to attachments either. A silly, silly
way to run Exchange, but the very importants didn't seem to care much for
the finer points of the technology. They just wanted complete freedom. I
spent a month moving mailboxes into the other stores, after hours, then ran
an offline defrag on the emptied store to get the space back. Every month
I'd send notes to people with extremely large mailboxes (more than 500 MB).
The subject line read "Piggy mailboxes", and I included instructions for
cleaning up mailboxes. It offended many customers, but it also shamed them
into cleaning out the garbage.

Remember, if the size of the database is 100 GB prior to a big purge effort
and the customers delete 50 GB of crap, the size of the database remains 100
GB, but the store still has 50 GB to grow before it will get bigger than the
100 GB it was before the cleanup. An offline defrag is required to get the
empty space back, but the store won't grow again until the amount of data
grows back to the original size, as if that empty 50 GB of data is just a
placeholder, waiting to be filled.

Either way, you didn't commit a faux pas. The way you're running it, with
the exception of the no quota thing, is considered best practice, not one
large store.

Michelle Weaver
Systems Administrator, Materials Research Institute
Penn State University