Once online maintenance runs, you should see Event ID 1221 in the
Application Log - that will show how much whitespace is available in
the EDB file.  Exchange will use up that white space before expanding
the EDB file on disk (IF you have multiple stores on the same disk, be
sure to watch all of them - if one out of four has no whitespace, for
example, you'll still be losing free disk space).

If disk space has gotten critical - note that the STM file CAN
continue to grow, and may grow quickly if you have POP/IMAP clients.
The only way to free up space in the STM file is to perform an offline
defrag.

--James