> If you email files to a client, you have actual proof that the files
were
> indeed sent to the client.  If you give them a link, and they have to
> download the files themselves, then you don't really have proof that
they
> have their hands on the files.

I think this depends on what the definition of "client" is.  If the
definition includes the first smtp gateway that is outside the sending
company then sure, there is proof.  The distinction is:  I can prove that
the company owning smtp host blah.example.com accepted this message but I
can't prove that example.com employee foo received it or that an
attachment wasn't corrupted, etc...  And this might be good enough in many
business cases.

On the other hand, when a file is downloaded from a simple http server,
there is a very good chance that there is a log showing the client's IP
address, time of request, a value which shows if the request was answered,
that client's operating system, browser version and even patch level.
There is still no guarantee of the clients successful transfer.  Beware
the connectionless protocol...

If a file transfer really matters and cost is an issue, FTP/SCP is the way
to go.  There are also the proprietary (expensive) solutions mentioned
earlier which I imagine include extensive logging facilities.

~JasonG