How many clients ?

GuidoElia
HELPPC

  _____

Da: Chyka, Robert [mailto:bch...@medaille.edu]
Inviato: giovedì 9 aprile 2009 15.16
A: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Oggetto: Unreal...Mail Queue is filling up!

Hello,

I've been working on this issue since 2:00 yesterday.  We have some machines on
our network that are compromised and sending or trying to send hundreds of
thousands of e-mail to domains overseas.  I verified that we are not a open
relay and that all of our authentication methods are set right.  We are running
Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a single server.

Here is what I did so far:

-Disabled port 25 on the firewall for our mail server to start queue cleanup.

-Stopped SMTP on the mail server

- set up a new connector called SPAM Cleanup and forwarded all mail going thru
this SMTP connector to a fake ip address

-I bound the sonnector to the SMTP virtual server

-restarted SMTP

-cleaned the queue (almost 350,000 messages)

-turned logging on for smtp at highest level

-found a machine that was compromised by looking at the application log of the
mail server

-turned it off

-had to re-enable our mail server for people to work who are coming in

-queues refilled back up

Is there a easier way to find the compromised hosts on our internal network so
I don't have to take e-mail down?  I know taking the server down and doing it
that way is the right way, but I will get my butt kicked today.  We are
currently on 3 Blacklists now

-BC