From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 2:14 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Is anyone using SCR for Exchange 2007?

Tim,

I'm interested in your take on switching from DoubleTake to SCR. We're still on
Exchange 2003 with no replication solution in place. We're planning on moving
to Exchange 2007 early next year (or possibly 2010, depending on release date)
and implementing DR/HA along with it.

We use DoubleTake quite extensively for various systems. I've discussed using
DoubleTake for Exhcange 20xx when the time comes or using SCR (or some
iteration of built in replication). The one argument point for implementing
DoubleTake is that most all of our staff are familiar with it, and could step
in during a failover scenario. Whereas using SCR for example, may require some
in-depth knowledge of Exchange (for which there are only a couple of us). I've
argued, based on my limited knowledge of Exchange 2007, that the failover
process is scripted, and therefore could be built/tested beforehand. As long as
we had detailed documentation for executing failover, most of our staff should
be able to follow instructions and initiate failover. This would be for those
rare times that the few folks with Exchange knowledge were unavailable.

I'm not sure what your environment is like, but did you have to consider
anything similar when making the switch? If so, do you feel confident that any
of your staff could handle a failover situation should you not be available?

- Sean
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Tim Vander Kooi