After spending 6 hours cleaning stores the problems remain. Let me
summarize...

External email works fine and has thoughout the event. I can send email
to a bounce account and it responds without issue, with the exception of
when mail piles up in the lookup and pre submission queue.  LAN Outlook
2003 clients get, "outlook is trying to retrieve data from the microsoft
exchange server" , all the time.  If the Exchange server is restarted,
LAN clients can connect and send/receive mail for 10 -20 minutes then
back to the above message and no email delivery.

In the meantime I have checked to make DNS and DHCP is working properly.
DCPROMO'd an additional DC/GC with AD/DNS local with no change in
behavior of Exchange server. I think the LAN clients difficulty
connecting and the fact that both Exchange servers had problems at the
same time points to and AD/security related issue.

Your thoughts are welcomed. MS is to call me tomorrow am to follow up.
It would be very cool to have a solution before they call. The client
would think so too!

Cheers.