From: Stephan Barr [stephan.b...@bdtechnology.org] on behalf of lists
[li...@bdtechnology.org]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 2:24 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2000 sp3 with sp3 rollup.(Windows 2000 AD) mail flow problem

Two Exchange servers in site, both fully patched. One is a cold standby. Both
behaving the same.  Moved mailboxes from primary to secondary and issue
remains. Messages stack up in the SMTP queue and local/VPN’d Outlook 2003
clients get, “outlook is trying to retrieve data from the microsoft exchange
server”.  The server(s) have worked perfectly for about 2 years and suddenly
this mailflow issue.  Turned up logging to medium in Exchange Transport. Not
seeing any errors/warnings in the event log.  Initlally thought it was a
network connectivity issue but now think it could be AD/security related. Local
clients get the disconnection message but the server always responds to a
bounceback account I have setup to always reply to me upon receipt. I am remote
to the site where the Exchange boxes are. Netdiag and addiag are clean.   A
restart clears the queue and the server works fine for a few minutes then the
queue starts filling again.  Rambling here I know…

Any ideas?