From: Sobey, Richard A [mailto:r.so...@imperial.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:26 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Exchange DB Portability

Assuming DB portability in 2010 works the same as 2007, these are the high
level steps I used to move all databases from one server to another. It works
lovely. I've taken some of my own notes out that relate specifically to my
organization.

1)         Shut down Exchange on <old server>. Run ESEUTIL /MH <Path to DB
file> and ensure it's in a clean shutdown state.
2)         Mailbox databases should be set NOT to mount at startup.
3)         Disable Exchange services and turn <old server> off.
4)         Repoint the SAN presentations to <new server>.
5)         Rescan the server so it sees the SAN disks and point them at the
correct mount points or drive letters.
6)         Create the new mailbox databases called NewDatabaseName.edb.
7)         Set the AllowFileRestore flag on all new databases.
8)         Rename the databases on disk from OldDataBaseName.edb to
NewDataBaseName.edb.
9)         Mount the databases on the new server.
10)       Move the mailboxes from the old server to the new one with the
-ConfigurationOnly switch.