So I have a request from my management to start tracking total Messages handled
by Exchange on a monthly basis.  I know there are software packages like Quest
MessageStats that will easily produce this for me, however we have $0 in the
budget for this.

Wondering if anyone has had to produce this type of data and how they went
about it?

I'm running Exchange 2007 SP1 and have 10 Hub Transport servers across our
Enterprise and I have journaling enabled for our Archive system.  Our Archive
System reports unique/deduplicated messages, not total messages that would see
transport in Exchange.

Any ideas would be helpful.

TIA.

- John Barsodi