Sorry, that last line in the script should have been"

$totalmsgs += $stats.msgcount

________________________________
From: Campbell, Rob [mailto:rob_campb...@centraltechnology.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:45 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Total messages handled by Exchange

I've only got 3 HT servers, all within one state, and well connected.  I'm
running it on one server and having it pull the logs from the other servers.
Running it locally on each one should be easily do-able.  You'll just have to
add some code at the end to copy out the resulting file to a central location.

The totaling is scripted, and it's a relatively simple process in PS as long if
you're using .csv files.  You just do an import-csv and reference the columns
by the column heading names like they were properties.

If I've got 30 .csv files named mailstats<date>.csv  and they all have a column
named "msgcount" then

$statfiles = gci mailstats*.csv
Foreach ($statfile in $statfiles){
$stats = import-csv $statfile
$totalmsgs += $stats.msg
}

If all you're accumulating is a single value for message count, the I'd just
use a simple text file and use get-content to read that value, but I think
you'll find that once you start gathering stats from those logs you'll want to
get more than just one piece of information while you're at it.

I'm getting ready to add some code that will look at the DL expansion events,
and start keeping track of the last time a DL was used so we can start cleaning
up the list of distribution groups and mail-enabled security groups that never
actually get used.