Well, still can't figure out what's going on here, but I have noticed one
thing.  If I add a third email address (first is the externalEmailAddress,
second is what I would like to be the primary SMTP email address), uncheck
the "automatically update email addresses based on policy", apply, set that
third as the primary (reply-to), apply, then check the "automatically..."
box, hit apply again the desired email address becomes primary.  However if
I set the externalEmailAddress as primary, via the method above, then check
the "Automatically..." box and hit apply the desired primary is not set as
primary, the externalEmailAddress keeps the primary role.

Not sure if this is by design or not, but it's annoying...sigh...