From: bounce-8549838-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com
[bounce-8549838-8066...@lyris.sunbelt-software.com] On Behalf Of Kurt Buff
[kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 May 2009 19:48
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: PF replication, latency and archiving

All,

We're implementing SEA here, and have three offices - one here in the
US, one in the UK and one in AU. The latency between offices for data
transfer is pretty huge, as you might expect, with the further
handicap that the UK office has a consumer grade DSL connection of
768/128.

To illustrate the problem, a robocopy of about 35gb from the US office
to the AU office took nearly two weeks - and they have a 2mb SDSL
connection.

The AU office has about 30gb in mailboxes and 3gb in PFs, the UK
office has about 42gb in mailboxes and 21gb in PFs.

Only some of the PFs are replicated to the US office - I don't know
how exactly many at the moment, but it's probably fewer than half.

Questions:
1) Do any of you have a similar situation with latency? If so, how
does SEA perform for you?

2) I think it makes sense to replicate all foreign office PFs to the
US office, on the theory that SEA will pull replicas locally, and that
native Exchange replication will be gentler on bandwidth consumption
than SEA. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this theory?

Any thoughts on this welcome...

Kurt