From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 9:44 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Exchange 2007 & Postini

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:33 AM, John
Hornbuckle<john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us> wrote:
> I'm using the private DNS method, where you configure Exchange to use
> a specific DNS server to resolve addresses for messages bound for
> the outside world.

  Ewww.  They can't let you just configure an SMTP "smart host" to
receive all your outbound mail?  That would seem to be a lot less
disgusting.

> For kicks, I dropped to a command prompt on my server and ran nslookup,
> pointing it to Postini's DNS server. I was able to connect, but not resolve
> any
> host names. Every time I tried, I got a "query refused" message.

  Sounds like this is more of a DNS issue than an Exchange issue.  But
anyway, their nameservers are prolly configured to only accept queries
from known IP addresses (i.e., their customers).  The queries issued
from your Exchange box are apparently not coming from an IP address
they expect.  Looks for NAT, firewall, proxy, etc., devices between
your Exchange box and the rest of the world.  Chances are your DNS
queries aren't coming from where you think they are.

-- Ben