No, it's completely unreasonable.

That's especially true if the money isn't there to support the infrastructure.

But, it's not merely the disk storage for Exchange.

It's also bandwidth for the rest of the users, both in the office, and
also the poor ba***rds on the road with RPC/HTTPS synching their
laptops with that pig of an email in the skinny python of his hotspot
connection.

SMTP != FTP, pure and simple.