From: Carl Houseman [mailto:c.house...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:42 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: NDRs backscatter and such

Enable recipient filtering and tick the box for "filter recipients who are not
in the directory".   That will eliminate all of the NDRs from spam sent to
non-existent addresses.

The senders who make a typo will still get NDRs, but those NDRs will be
generated by the sending servers instead of yours.  This is the Best Practice
thing to do.  The spammers won't get any NDRs because spambots don't bother to
generate them.

The other response about tarpitting, you want to do that too.  Tarpitting
doesn't do anything for you unless you've enabled the recipient filtering for
non-existent addresess.

Carl