On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:24, Bill Songstad
(WCUL)<administra...@waleague.org> wrote:
> Okay, backscatter is an annoyance at the very least.  So I want to do
> something about it.  My messaging queue is 90% NDRs to domains and
> subdomains with no MX records.
>

> Of course the easy solution is to just uncheck “allow Non-Delivery reports”
> in Internet Messaging formats within ESM.  But my organization provides
> research services via email request to thousands of members.  Sometimes the
> members just fire off an email to the researcher who helped them last time.
> But, that researcher may be gone from the organization.  So how do you have
> the NDR functionality without feeding the spammers and contributing to
> backscatter?
>

> Just trying to brainstorm here
>

> Bill

Following the conversation, I second the motion to refuse delivery for
non-existent accounts - reject with a 5xx .

For my part, I find that a separate email gateway is very useful for
this. I use Maia Mailguard, but even just postfix with a list of
accounts that you update regularly from AD would be helpful. Keeps the
trash away from Exchange.

Kurt