On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Glen Johnson<gjohn...@vhcc.edu> wrote:
> I got a problem with our BB Professional 4.1.4.3 server.

  I've never used BPS but I've got BES, which I'm told is pretty
similar except for how the BB server communicates with Exchange.

> When I try to add a new user, it hangs at Initializing. Been there for 3
> days.

  Try removing the user from BPS, including their BB user data when
prompted, then re-adding back in.  Then do a reload and a resned
service books.  That's the moral equivalent of rebooting a stuck
Windows client, and fixes a lot of problems.   If the handheld is the
same, or it is a new user, it shouldn't loose any Outlook or handheld
data.  (If you're trying to restore a handheld, it may be an issue.)

> I’ve also got problems with cal sync from the handhelds back to Outlook.

  Describe.  May be a known issue; I know some kinds of changes on the
HH simply won't be sync'ed back to Exchange.

> If I do this, will the users need to re-activate their handhelds

  After doing a clean install with a BB server, you will need to
re-activate the handhelds with the server.  Activation is basically
just a set of crypto keys, and of course when you flatten the server
all the keys will be lost.

  You can do a backup and restore of the BB SQL database, along with
the BB info in Exchange, but if you've concluded you need a clean
slate, that would defeat the purpose.

> ... is there any danger of them losing info or email, contacts or cal info
> getting
> duplicated either on the handheld or in outlook.

  I've never had dupe or lost data from an Exchange account or
handheld after deleting and re-adding to BES.  From what you describe,
I wouldn't see that as much different.  But I've never done exactly
what you describe, so no promises.

  You may want to call RIM for support.  I think they still do paid
single incidents.  I hear some wireless carriers also do good RIM/BB
support, you may want to ask yours.

-- Ben